Monday, July 25, 2022

Summer Can Be Both Joyful and Tragic

 Summer is a wonderful time to relax and enjoy the sunshine and flowers and I've been doing a lot of planting and caring for flowers. Gardening is good exercise but it is also rewarding in other ways..But I just saw a large black snake in one of my small gardens today so I will have to be mindful of that going forward. I live in the country now!!

Unfortunately, Summer can also be tragic for some because of children being near swimming pools. Sadly two children, one in my town in Ct and in another nearby town drowned this summer. I've decided to try to get the word out, with some women who are going to help me, that parties and swimming pools can be disastrous for children who can't swim and who wander into dangerous situations unknowingly. Parents can get distracted before, during and after a party and more has to be done to remind parents to be extra diligent at parties, especially where there is a swimming pool. 

The Monsignor at my parish was brought to tears this weekend at Mass, as it was a rough week for him and others.  One of those children who died from drowning, a 2 year old, had a Funeral Mass at the parish last week. There was a lot of crying and sadness, of course. There were other deaths as well, one personal that he had to deal with. We are praying for our pastor and for the families affected by tragic loss. 

Life is so paradoxical. Good and bad. Sorrow, pain and yet joy. War and peace. Gardening helps to get my mind off the seriousness of life and the problems that can arise so quickly. 

NJA