Friday, April 30, 2021

Msgr. William Koenig Named Bishop of Wilmington Delaware-Congrats!!

 I needed some good news this morning and I got it when I looked at my phone and saw the special announcement from the Diocese of Rockville Center. I'm so happy for Msgr. William Koenig who was named by Pope Francis, the 10th Bishop of Wilmington Delaware. 

I knew Bishop-elect Koenig's mother from volunteer work I did at the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception in Huntington. She was also a volunteer there before she passed away some years ago. I attended her funeral Mass, with other volunteers from the Seminary and the way Msgr. Koenig spoke about his mother and family at that Mass was very touching. I also often watch the weekday Masses celebrated at St. Agnes Cathedral via the Catholic Faith Network, and while Msgr. Koenig was the Rector, for many years, I would be a part of that virtual community. (I like to stay up late, I have always been a "night owl," so watching the Mass at midnight when it is re-broadcast is common for me.)

He's a very good choice for a Bishop. As was stated by Bishop Barres and Msgr. Vlaun during the announcement video, Msgr. Koenig has special qualities for a priest and now Bishop-elect. He has a kind, gentle, compassionate presense, and a humble spirit. I would add he has a good sense of humor too, usually starting his homilies with a joke!

I've met him a few times in person, and always that gentle priestly spirit comes across. 

So Congratulations Bishop-elect Msgr. Koenig, you deserve the appointment and the Catholics of Wilmington are greatly blessed and in for a pleasant surprise!

Nancy