Friday, March 12, 2021

We Are Living Through Strange Times-Digital Art File Sells for $69 Million

 If you need anymore proof that the modern world we live in is strange and getting stranger by the day, try to get your mind around this.....Someone paid 69.3 million dollars for a digital file, of artwork by an artist named Mike Winkelmann (Beeple). The work of art does not physically exist.....it's a computer file. It was paid for with cryptocurrency and the online sale was handled by Christie's. The buyer who goes by the name Metakovan thinks he got a bargain....yes, he thinks it was "a steal." 

The work of art is entitled, "Everydays-The First 5000 Days," and it is a collage of images that have been posted online by the artist since 2007. 

I love art and one of the things that I missed doing during the pandemic is going to museums. Hopefully I can start to do that again soon. Art makes people happy, beautiful artworks make me happy.  I especially love religious art.

But a digital file that sells for $69 million, I can't understand it. I don't quite understand cryptocurrency either. 

What I do know is that that amount of money could really have made a difference in helping people in the developing world. That kind of money could have changed lives and lifted people out of poverty and fed many hungry children, in many places in the world. 

The world is just getting too strange and out of whack....and hard to understand.

Nancy