Monday, September 2, 2019

Pope Names 13 New Cardinals-No American On The List

Pope Francis appointed 13 new Cardinals and when I read the list I was surprised that none of them were American. The American Church is important, especially at this crucial time in modern Church history and yet none of the great bishops who would have qualified for the important role of Cardinal in the Church were named from America. A missed opportunity in my humble opinion.

I'm disappointed as an American.  And more crucial is that a younger American voice and presence is needed more than ever. I don't say that flippantly. American culture influences the rest of the world, and only a media-savvy, younger American Cardinal can bring that perspective and understanding to the College of Cardinals.

The American Church is crucial for the world Church for many reasons. And now is a very important time in Church history, but not sure the hierarchy realizes that.
NJA