Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eat Less, Live Longer, Do More Good!

In a fascinating new study, researchers have found that cutting calories by a third, in the diets of monkeys, slowed not only their aging, but also cut their risk of disease and prolonged their lives. Calorie-cutting monkeys had less than half the incidences of cancerous tumors or heart disease of the monkeys who ate normal meals. The researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison did the study. What we would really like is not so much that people should live longer but that people should live healthier, said Dr. David Finkelstein of the National Institute on Aging. The Wisconsin monkeys seemed to do both. The fact that there's less disease in these animals is striking. 
More research is needed to see if these dramatic calorie-cutting benefits help humans but it is likely, ( I believe) since numerous studies that I have read confirm that there are many positive health benefits of losing weight. For one, people with high blood pressure can sometimes go off their medication after losing weight. 
Being of Italian descent, I love food, as most Italians do and so it's a struggle for me to lose weight, especially since I love pasta, bread and pizza. I also love to cook and have mastered many Italian dishes, since as I've mentioned before, I come from a long line of fantastic cooks.  I've always loved cake and cookies, though I now try to substitute healthier snacks. When you love food, it's difficult to lose weight but I am trying. 
So what does this have to do with religion, because this is a religion blog, after all.  Well, obviously, the longer we live, the more experience we'll have to share and wisdom is good when you are on a spiritual journey, as I am. I'm hoping (and praying) that I'll be able to share my experiences, as I grow older through my writing.  I need good health to do that, as we all do. So I'm going to try to limit my calorie intake and exercise more, and if you want to live a long and healthy life, it's good advice for all. 
NJA