Friday, June 29, 2018

St. Therese of Lisieux-Friend and Inspirer-Summertime Reading

For the final book that my parish Summer Book Club will read and discuss in September is the classic autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux-"The Story of a Soul." I will read it over the summer to lead the discussion. It will be my fourth reading of this spiritual classic. I even took a course about St. Therese from the Carmelite Institute many years ago. When you study the writings of St. Therese, or pray for her intercession, she befriends you in a mystical, mysterious way and I am certainly not the only person who has said that, many others confirm that as well.
St. Therese has been called "the greatest saint of modern times." She was canonized on May 17th, 1925 by Pope Pius XI and declared a Doctor of the Church by Pope John Paul II (now a saint himself) in 1997.
Therese wanted to be a saint, she was very focused on her love for Jesus and her little way of spiritual childhood. She knew that to be a saint she would need God's help. She couldn't do it on her own and so she asked God to lift her to heights, she couldn't possible reach on her own and be her  "divine elevator." One of the most remarkable things about Therese is that she attained every one of her goals though some were attained after her death.
I have two of her relics, small pieces of her brown Carmelite habit, which I have for many years and which were attained from Rome.
Therese has a great devotion to the Blessed Mother and her religious profession was on the day that the Church celebrates Mary's birth- September 8th. Therese took the day of her profession very seriously, she sent out wedding invitations! September 8th is an important day in my life too, as I was born on that day. So I feel connected to Therese and the Blessed Mother, in a special way, because of my birthday. It's a great grace to be born on a Marian feast day. I'm not boasting, it is what it is.
So I expect many graces to come from reading, "Story of a Soul," again. I'm not sure what they are but I'm positive that St. Therese will work from Heaven as she always does, to bring some added grace or graces into my life.
NJA