Friday, April 6, 2018

The Beautiful Easter Season and Divine Mercy Feast-2018

I realized that I hadn't written anything about Easter this year, the most magnificent feast in the Church year and instead I wrote about Hell and a misunderstanding and a need for conversion. Only because I read an intriguing article about Pope Francis and how his words had been distorted about Hell by an Italian journalist.
But that's no excuse. It's Easter and now it's the Easter Season, the season of hope and new beginnings and I should write about that.
Easter was beautiful, the Mass at my church on Long Island was filled with beautiful music, great liturgy and a good homily. The spirit of the Risen Lord was present in many ways. My family was with me, except for one of my sons and his wife because they have a newborn baby. My first grandchild. It doesn't get better than that, having a granddaughter! So blessed! Thank you Lord!
This Sunday I have been asked to speak about Divine Mercy as I did last year at a Divine Mercy Feast Day of prayer and reflection. I'm one of three speakers, in an illustrious group.
And what I will say I have been pondering all week, allowing the Spirit to guide me as to what I shall concentrate on. It's mostly a day of prayer with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, so not too many words are needed. I will let the Spirit lead and guide and I will just point out the direction we need to go.
When you let the Spirit work through you, and ask for God's guidance (and I listen to the chant everyday-"Veni, Sanctus, Spiritus," and let it sink in), the Spirit will guide in a simple, yet powerful way.
Recently I was attending a retreat with a Jesuit priest as the leader. When after one of the sessions, I told him that I also give retreats and that I could teach centering prayer, which he was giving hand-outs to the participants about, he generously said, "Nancy, would you like to help me? Would you like to teach centering prayer?" And so I did. That's how it is with the Holy Spirit......I will say in prayer on Sunday....."Holy Spirit guide me and empower me, and lead me, so as to help all here grow closer to God and be open to God's merciful love." I'll make room for the Spirit to act.
Amen. "Jesus I trust in you."
NJA