Friday, January 19, 2018

Pope Francis in Chile And the Joy of Indigenous People

As I watched the Masses celebrated by Pope Francis in Chile on TV, I thought it was wonderful that the indigenous people of Chile were given the chance to express themselves, at the Masses, in such a creative, authentic way. Their exuberance, music and song was joyful and a pleasure to watch.
The Church needs to be relevant in the modern world, and embracing multiculturalism and the natural gifts of indigenous people is certainly a step in the right direction.
Good music is so important in liturgies and good homilies that help people apply the gospel message of hope to modern problems and situations. We all need to hear the reassuring message that Christ continues to offer through Scripture....that God is with us, that God gives us courage and life-giving water and life-giving food for our souls. The modern world is desperately in need of the gospel message, most especially young people. Also, I think often of people in parts of the world where people cannot worship God freely or openly. I pray that all should hear the word of God and be open to the gospel message of hope. I pray that all people on the earth will....."with joy draw water at the fountain of salvation."
NJA

God indeed is my savior, I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the Lord...With joy you will draw water at the fountain of salvation.