Thursday, May 15, 2014

Senator Rubio--How Can You Deny Human Activity Is Tied To Global Warming?

I don't mean this post to be political. This is not a political statement.  I am an environmentalist who cares about God's beautiful creation and hopes humankind has enough sense to protect it, before things spiral out of control As reported in the news, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida on Sunday in an interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC said that he doesn't believe that human activity is causing the dramatic changes to the climate as climate scientists are suggesting. I find that baffling. There is so much scientific evidence that global warming is caused by human activity and that the situation is worsening.
What I think Senator Rubio should do (and I don't mean any disrespect) is to turn on his TV, like I just did. I saw horrific and frightening images of wildfires across Southern California which is also in a severe drought. They have had unusual record breaking heat for the last week and combined with severe drought and wind, wildfires are spreading, destroying homes and businesses.
Scientists keep saying that global warming will create droughts in some places and heavy downpours and rainstorms in others. That's happening already, not in some distant future, but now.
People who are standing in front of their burned out homes, who are confronting severe drought and record high temperatures are standing in the future and the future has come upon them, in an apocalyptic-type scenario.
All politicians and all business leaders must confront that global warming is real and everyone must do their part, because no one is going to flee the disastrous effects of global warming, once the scale is tipped.
Senator Rubio said that "I do not believe that the laws that they propose we pass will do anything about it, except it will destroy our economy."
Well I think the drought in California, where so much produce is grown could threaten our economy as food prices rise.
I think what could destroy our economy is wildfires, drought, floods, water restrictions, high food prices and rising sea levels which will effect coastal areas.
But I'm not an economist, just someone who reads a lot and pays attention to the signs of the times. I also respect intelligence and if the majority of climate scientists say that action is needed and soon, I believe them. I turn on my TV and I see homes up in flames and I see what the scientists have been predicting becoming a reality in real time. How can you deny what is already in front of our eyes?
NJA