Monday, April 9, 2012

A Blessed Easter


A Blessed Easter and Easter Season to All

Today as I put my house back in order, after yesterday's Easter dinner celebration it will give me time to reflect on the beautiful gift that Easter Sunday was. The liturgy at my parish church was perfect, the choir extraordinary and the pastor's homily very good. He spoke in his homily about the book the entire parish was given at the beginning of Lent to read, "Rediscover Catholicism," by Matthew Kelly. Parishioners were asked to read the book during Lent, reflect upon the wisdom in it and then share it with someone else. Matthew Kelly is a gift to the Church- a great evangelizer and a good writer. He gets to the heart of matters in a clear and concise way. Yes, we should all try to become the best-version-of-ourselves and with Jesus' help, Scripture, Church traditions and rituals and the examples of the saints, it is possible and attainable this side of heaven. But it takes work and discipline and like all things worth having and striving for in life, effort is needed to stay the course. The book is challenging and though I've read in other places, a lot of what he's written, it's good to be reminded of it and it's easy reading.  It's a good book for Catholics to read in any liturgical season and I've heard of other parishes giving out the book, which is a great idea. Every Catholic Christian can become the best-version-of-themselves with and through Christ and with some good spiritual reading and prayer. 
At Mass I was given a reminder of  how important it is to stay focused in life on what's really important and not to worry about trivialities. In the pew in front of where my family sat, was a family with a young woman who was physically and mentally challenged. Her mother was very attentive to her during Mass, hugging her, wiping her face with a cloth when needed, trying her best to keep the young woman calm and relaxed. But the woman would make erratic movements from time to time and noises she couldn't control. Her sister sat next to them. When I would kneel during Mass, I was very close to the disabled woman as she sat back in the pew in front of me. So close that I could see that her life must be difficult and her mother's life too must not be easy at all. And though I'm sure they are blessed in many ways and the love between them was evident, it once again reminded me that some people have it more difficult than others in life. Perhaps they don't complain but it takes effort for all of them just to get through the day, just to get out of the pew, to receive Communion and leave the Church. Struggling with pride, love and hope. Coming to Church to receive Jesus and to receive hope. 
As I go about my day today, straightening up my house, planting some Easter plants, I'll say a prayer for that family, that they get inner strength from the love they have for each other, the commitment they have to their faith and from their prayers.
NJA