Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Are You Listening Church?

I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Cor 2:2)

At our baptism, every Christian is anointed "priest," prophet and king. This is a great and powerful anointing, one that unfortunately too few Catholics truly understand. But in any event, this morning I thought I would write something from a prophets point of view. I mean no disrespect, on the contrary I'm just thinking out loud. This is Lent, a sacrificial liturgical season when all Catholics are suppose to concentrate on self-forgetting and immerse themselves in some form of asceticism- giving up, sharing more, thinking and praying more about God than themselves.
I read last night at that famous blog, Whispers in the Loggia, that a number of formal announcements were made by the Vatican, concerning the appointments of new Bishops and Archbishops. I certainly wish all those worthy and illustrious men good will and God's blessings but I have to question the timing. Why were these announcements made during Lent? Why not wait for the Easter Season when the Church is rejoicing and celebrating the Risen Christ? I just think the timing is off to announce appointments to the episcopacy when the Church is in a period of self-forgetting and sacrifice. Timing is very important in life.
As St. Paul reminded us in Philippians (Phil 2:8), "Jesus humbled himself becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross." The cross of Christ, the humiliation that Christ suffered by being betrayed, rejected and ultimately succumbing to that horrific death on a cross is what should be on the minds of all striving for holiness during Lent. That's all. And that is my humble opinion.
NJA

May your love draw down upon you the mercy of the Lord, and may he let you see that within your soul a saint is sleeping. I shall ask him to make you so open and supple that you will be able to understand and do what he wants you to do. Your life is nothing; it is not even your own. Each time you say 'I'd like to do this or that,' you wound Christ, robbing him of what is his. You have to put to death everything within you except the desire to love God......" Jacques Fesch