Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent and the Pain of God-2012

Many people think that God is not affected by our sins, by our lack of compassion for others, our selfishness or our tendency towards pride. But I think God is affected and that our sins cause God great suffering and pain. I don't think God is removed.
When I read about our world, about how many people are still suffering from hunger, ("Hunger in Nigers threatens millions,") or the lack of good health care, education or even basic necessities so many suffer with, it makes me wonder why humankind has not evolved more. When I read how some animals are mistreated and even illegally killed through poaching (they can't protect themselves from greed or ignorance) it saddens me. Headlines such as this, "African elephants are being killed in great numbers" disturb me. I try to do my part, I write a check to the World Wildlife Fund with a letter of my concern, I'm sure it's not enough. I am a member of Bread for the World, an excellent organization, there are so many organizations, secular and religious doing good in the world and yet so many problems still exist. I imagine God is greatly saddened by the events that humans cause and the havoc our insensitivity and greed creates amongst humans and in the animal kingdom. Of course, there is all that goodness, conservation and help too........
We live in a fallen world and each day that you read the news that's obvious enough. But it is also a beautiful world filled with goodness, love, hope, kindness and beauty. People act heroically everyday, trying to do the right thing. People of faith do a great deal of good in the world.
Each one of us has to take a stand for good. Each one of us has to do all we can to end hunger on this planet, to take responsibility for the care of the earth and its resources and God's creations.
Lent is a good time to think about "the more" that each one of us can do. And we can all do more, myself included. We have to be the hands, heart and compassion of Jesus in the world.
May you have a holy, enriched experience this Lent. I will try to find more time for silence, reflection, Christian meditation, mindfulness, deep prayer and communion with God. (I also need some more sunshine!) I hope you will too.
NJA
(I'm taking a little break from blogging, be back soon)

Powerful Words From St. Teresa of Avila-

Christ has no body now but yours
No hands, no feet on earth but yours
Yours are the eyes through which Christ looks compassion into the world
Yours are the feet with which Christ walks to do good.
Yours are the hands with which Christ blesses the world.

It is love alone that gives worth to all things.
(St. Teresa of Avila-Doctor of the Church)