Saturday, December 10, 2011

Keeping Fixed On Jesus

This is the holy season of Advent and there is so much activity, background noise and distractions that's it's easy to get caught up in it and lose focus. The focus should always be on Jesus, the Savior and Redeemer and his teachings. Recently, I wrote a blog entry about how saddened I was by the latest atheist billboard campaign which I felt disrespected Jesus by placing his image alongside the Roman god Neptune, Satan and Santa Claus but I didn't like the entry, after reflecting about it and so I removed it. That's the good thing about being the writer, editor and creator of a blog, you can basically be in control, which is what I like. Of course that comes with responsibility.
The latest atheist campaign titled, "37 Million Americans Know A Myth When They See One- What Do You See?" is meant to upset. And it did upset me. I often think of how I pray, asking Jesus to be my Rock, my protector and my shield against evil. But Jesus in my opinion is not being shielded from radical non-believers who are seeking to denigrate and dishonor him. Jesus the second person of the Blessed Trinity is Incarnate God for two billion Christians in the world. I don't think it's right that atheists are placing his sacred image on a billboard with images of the Roman God Neptune, Satan and Santa Claus. Jesus is a historical figure, revered by billions, believed to be fully human and fully divine by Christians throughout the world. The course of human history was changed with the birth of Jesus. The billboard campaign is a "low blow." It's not just, fair or respectful.
But I've decided instead of getting upset, I'm going to pray that the hearts and minds of atheists are touched by God and they realize their point can be made in a less controversial way.
They ask, "What do I see?" I see people who have no respect for the beliefs of others, who lack good taste, who are spending a lot of money to cause discord and controversy, during a holy time for billions. Couldn't the money be better spent on the poor? Why don't atheists use their beliefs for doing good in the world instead of causing more discord and problems?
Once again I think of the Scripture verse, "Don't worry about anything but pray about everything." So I'm going to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, and try not to be disturb by those causing confusion and discord. I will imagine in my prayer that I am "shielding" Jesus from those who wish to dishonor and disrespect Him and I will give him the honor, love and reverence He so deserves, through my prayer and works. "Be joyful and sing unto the Lord." Joy is the true mark of a Christian as we live in hope and so I've got to get back to being hopeful and joyful, as I wait to celebrate the great feast of Christmas. What a blessing to be able to celebrate such a magnificent feast and holiday!
NJA