Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Deacon Frank Bice-An Inspiration

There was a great article in Monday's NY Newsday titled, "High-tech Tidings of Hope," about a special deacon, Frank Bice whose inspirational videos now appear on YouTube. I've met Deacon Bice and I've heard him speak and I was greatly moved by his story. It brought tears to my eyes. He inspires me and I've told him that. Sometimes (I speak for myself but I know others share this), I get caught up in nonsense and worry (though I'm not suppose to because of my deep faith), but then I see Deacon Bice (and others like him who share a disability) and he always seems upbeat and hopeful. His story is: "Frank Bice was a senior in college and captain of the football team when a bungled tackle fractured his spine and left him a quadriplegic." When I first heard him tell the story, I was saddened, yet amazed. Throughout his ordeal people reached out to him to help and he's mentioned people who were there for him, who made all the difference. He took a negative, debilitating experience and turned it around for good. You can only do that with love, support, prayer and belief in God. He also has a lot of continuing encouragement from friends and he has a wonderful, supportive wife. The importance of caring relationships in life can never be underestimated. That is a great blessing in life. But still, he is in a wheelchair and that must be very difficult to deal with on a daily basis. Yet he has courage and he has a deep faith in God, in the midst of difficult daily circumstances. That is inspirational.
His wife Liz, encouraged him to start "Daily Hope" a 2 minute taped message of daily inspiration and hope which can be viewed at YouTube. His messages are becoming increasingly popular. He bases them on the daily Scriptures and many times they are related to stories about sports.
Deacon Bice believes in miracles and the positive power of hope and faith. He was quoted as saying, "Miracles today are right in front of our faces, but we don't see them." That is so true. And I would add, "Hope is not an option for a Christian, it is essential to our faith." Hope brings possibility and God's favor.
NJA