Friday, May 21, 2010

Compassion for the Gulf Coast Region of the U.S.

The weather has been so beautiful in the Northeast and there are so many wonderful occasions to celebrate in the Spring, such as graduations, Holy Communions and Confirmations, that it bothers me to keeping writing about negative events. But I guess on some level it helps me to process them and also keeps me mindful to pray about them. I feel compassion for the people of the Gulf Coast region whose livelihoods come from fishing, which is now off limits in many parts of the Gulf of Mexico. And also, of course for those who lost loved ones in the explosion that caused the oil spill.  The massive oil spill in the Gulf is being called one of the "worst environmental disasters of the modern era." That's very serious. When I saw video footage of the toxic oil pouring into the Gulf last night on CNN, I couldn't sleep afterwards. It might seem ridiculous to some, but I get very upset with visual video footage like that, knowing sea life and many forms of wildlife will die from this catastrophe and possibly be affected for generations.
In congressional testimony on Wed. the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration  (NOAA) was criticized for "failing to conduct adequate scientific analysis of the spill."  At present there is still no confirmed estimate of how much oil is flowing into the Gulf." This oil spill has now invaded some of the sensitive marshes of the Gulf Coast region. 
Some people, like me, believe that God suffers for our failings, sins and the atrocities that humans cause, whether it's intentional or not. I'm sure God is suffering through this oil spill and others like it. Believers think that the earth and all living creatures are part of God's creation and should be protected. All living things are gifts from our Creator. One definition of the word greed that I read was, "disregard for the spiritual realm." 
There are certainly lessons to be learned from this environmental disaster, but the question is: Will we learn? Will we change our priorities? After other massive oil spills which happened in the past, why weren't the best and brightest experts, innovative leaders in their field, given jobs to ensure this event never occurred again. And yet here we are in the 21st century, powerless to turn off a toxic plume of crude oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico. It almost sounds like fiction, like a scene from a doomsday movie. 
I hope future generations make sure these oil spills are things of the past. I hope they read these accounts of the Gulf Oil spill with disbelief and concern. I hope future generations extract oil and other forms of energy with the greatest care and safeguards, using every resource available to make sure the environment is cared for and protected, at all cost. 
Thank God I have some pleasant, fun things to do this weekend with friends, I have to get away from the news. That's obvious enough.
NJA

You can't pressure-wash a marsh  (Denise Reed)

The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea. The sea turned to blood like that from a corpse; every creature living in the sea died. 
(Rev. 16:3)