Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving To All!

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope.   (Romans 15:13)

As I prepare for a Thanksgiving feast tomorrow with my family and a few days of company to follow, I couldn't let this special holiday go by without wishing everyone a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving! I baked a homemade carrot cake last night for the first time, taking the advice of The Anchoress, who says the recipe is the best. I hope so, I love carrot cake. Today I spent the day preparing my famous rice balls and I will fry them tomorrow. My aunt has done some cooking too and she will bring some Italian dishes as well. 
We have so much to be thankful for. Gratitude and feelings of gratitude are good for us. Tomorrow I'll ask everyone around the dining room table to express what they are grateful for. It's something we do each year. 
I find it interesting that-"Research consistently finds that regularly expressing gratitude is good for our overall well-being; People who do so are healthier, more successful in reaching their goals, more optimistic and more inclined to help others" (Parenting Magazine-11/09). I find that amazing that there are so many benefits just from being a grateful person and expressing gratitude. 
Robert Emmons, a professor of psychology at the University of California and author of the book, "Thanks! How Practicing Gratitude Can Make You Happier," says that gratitude doesn't have to be spontaneous or natural. "Act grateful and you'll soon start feeling it." 
Each day try to spend a few moments thinking about what you are grateful for, say it to yourself, say it to others or write it down. It's a simple enough way to feel happier and more at peace.
NJA