Monday, August 31, 2009

Homeless Blogger Gets An Internship

I thought this was an uplifting story. A homeless blogger, Brianna Karp (known as "Bri,") managed to get an internship with Elle magazine. The writer is from Orange County and she posts about her homeless situation on her blog, "The Girls Guide to Homelessness." She wrote about her experience on her blog, telling the story of how she entered a fashion advice contest in April, which landed her an audition for a reality show. The reality show prize was an internship with Elle. She would have been mentored by the magazine's advice columnist, E. Jean Carroll. (This story was also mentioned on the web site-homelesstales.com.) Though she didn't do well, she wrote that, "I totally bombed it," she didn't give up. I admire determination and perseverance and that's what Bri had. She wrote a letter to Carroll hoping for a second chance. And what happened next is proof that perseverance pays off. Elle magazine offered her a four-month internship and posted a response in their magazine. The internship starts on Sept. 1st. As you can imagine this story has received a lot of media attention.
She said that, "the media storm she's experienced since the story broke has been very humbling." I quote her, "I am an educated woman with stable employment and residence history. I have never done drugs. I am not mentally ill. I am a career executive assistant-coherent, opinionated, poised and capable. If you saw me walking down the street, you wouldn't assume that I live in a parking lot. In short, I am just like you-except without the convenience of a permanent address." She lives in a parking lot, it's hard to believe.  I know this is going on in our country and I just can't imagine that it's really happening. 
Hopefully all the publicity will enable Brianna to get a permanent address soon. We don't always think about the homeless people and families in our country who are struggling. They need help and prayers. I always feel better when I make a contribution to Habitat for Humanity. Even a small donation enables them to buy a box of nails that contributes to the building of a small house for a needy family. It's a great cause to support.
NJA

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without words and never stops-at all. 
Emily Dickinson