Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mary and Mothers

May each one of us, precisely through the concrete reality of Mary's universal motherhood, fully acknowledge her as our own Mother and trustingly commend ourselves to her maternal love. 
(John Paul II's catechesis on Mary)

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. I wish all mothers a Happy Mother's Day. You deserve it! Being a mother is a tremendous amount of work and takes much sacrifice. Raising good, kind, compassionate children with good Christian values is not easy in today's secular world. It takes a lot of effort, discipline, prayer and consistency. 
Some quotes about mothers and how special they are:
*There never was a woman like her. She was gentle as a dove and brave as a lioness...The memory of my mother and her teachings were, after all, the only capital I had to start life with and on that capital I have made my way.  Andrew Jackson
*I was determined that no daughter of mine was going to have to go through the agony of being afraid to say what she had on her mind....Just because she was a girl didn't mean she should be limited........Dorothy Rodham-mother of Hillary Clinton
*Always be nice to your children because they are the ones who will choose your nursing home.  Phyllis Diller
*Whenever I held my newborn baby in my arms, I used to think that what I said and did to him could have an influence not only on him but on all whom he met, not only for a day or a month or a year, but for all eternity-a very challenging and exciting thought for a mother.
Rose Kennedy
*Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.  Stevie Wonder
*One fine day...as my mother was putting the bread in the oven, I went up to her and taking her by her flour-smeared elbow I said to her, 'Mama...I want to be a painter'...My mother's love for me was so great that I have worked hard to justify it.  Marc Chagall

As a mother what can I say, what does being a mother mean to me? My sons are older now, young adults, but I still call them to remind them that it's Sunday and they should try to make time for Mass. I still encourage them to show kindness to others and help the less fortunate. (Every Christmas we give a dairy goat through Heifer International to a poor family somewhere in the world.) The Christian values they've been raised with, has helped them grow into the young men they are. It's made all the difference in the world. 
NJA