Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Prayer for Prosperity

 One of the interests I've developed late in life is to watch business news. Since we are living through one of the worst economic downturns in the history of our country, this makes for some interesting commentary. It is also intriguing (and very sad) to watch how greed (one of the deadly sins, which certainly has been deadly for our economy) infects and distorts the thinking and actions of many. All of the greed, lying and distortions has put many Americans in a precarious situation. At times, even the business journalists seem confused, uncertain and in disbelief at what they are reporting and they admit it. It seems the Judeo-Christian values upon which this country was built are being ignored and we're paying a high price for that. It's mind-boggling for anyone trying to make sense of this mess. 
Scripture tells us, "Don't worry about anything, but pray about everything," (see Phil.4:6-9) so I have an idea. There's only one catch, you have to be a believer to try this. It doesn't matter what religion you are, but you have to believe in God and the power of prayer. I'm sure you've heard of this prayer from the Hebrew Scriptures that I'm going to suggest we pray, it's called the Prayer of Jabez. It's supposedly a very powerful prayer for prosperity and there are many people who try to explain why, but like all mysterious elements of faith and belief, it just has to be accepted for what it is. Years ago, there was an article in the New York Times about the Prayer of Jabez and I became interested in it, wrote an article about it and gave it out to many people. So I'm suggesting you pray this prayer for yourself and for all of us. Say it once for yourself and once for the country. It can't hurt, it can only help. Here it is...."Lord, that you would bless me indeed and enlarge my territory and that your hand might be with me and that you would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain! (1 Chronicles 4:9-10)
From the New Testament, words from the great St.Paul, to keep us on track, "Rejoice in hope, be patient under trial, persevere in prayer" (Romans 12:12).
NJA