Friday, June 15, 2018

Suicide Rates Are Lower For People Who Practice Their Faith-Another Benefit of Belief in God and Prayer

I recently read something which I firmly believed in my heart to be true since I've read other studies about the positive effects that faith, worship and belief have for human beings. People of faith go through crisis better, handle misfortune better, and are usually healthier and live longer than people who don't. Why this is true is up for debate but the data supports what numerous studies have found and I've written about many times. And I've experienced firsthand the inner strength, courage and hope that belief in God gives, especially in times of loss.
And so I thought faith, religious practice and worship would also affect suicide rates and as it turns out, I read an article to support my belief. Such vindication!
This is what I read in an online article, "Against a grim backdrop of rising suicide rates among American women, new research has revealed a blinding shaft of light: One group of women-practicing Catholics appears to have bucked the national trend toward despair and self-harm. Compared with women who never participated in religious services, women who attended any religious service once a week or more were five times less likely to commit suicide between 1996 and 2010, says a study published by JAMA Psychiatry.
Faith and belief in God and of course, prayer, gives you courage, inner strength and the ability to realize that no matter how bad the disappointment , hurt, sorrow and/or rejection is today, tomorrow will be better. At least a little better. There is always hope because we trust the words of Sacred Scripture and the words of Christ. "God is my protector, my rock, my shield in whom I trust.""
For a few weeks in June and then again for a week in September I lead a Summer Book Club in my parish. Our first book this year was recommended by a Jesuit priest, the book is a highly recommended book titled, "In His Spirit-A Guide To Today's Spirituality." We are enjoying reading it and discussing it. Seems like the Church doesn't talk about the Holy Spirit enough...not sure why.  The Spirit is enlightener, sanctifier, one who guides and empowers and prompts us towards God and the will of God for our life.
"The goal of Christian spirituality is to recognize and respond to the continual interior movements of the Spirit, for the Spirit will always lead us toward greater union with Christ and greater love and service of God and others." ("In His Spirit.....")
Veni, Sanctus, Spiritus!
NJA

The Lord is waiting to show you favor and he rises to pity you. For the Lord is a God of justice, blessed are all who wait for him.  (Isaiah 30:18)