Thursday, September 1, 2011

Surviving Hurricane Irene

Four days without electricity from Hurricane Irene. Our power just came on tonight. The other day we met workers in our neighborhood who came all the way from Michigan to try and help restore power. They couldn't make any promises. They told us they left home to help us in NY but with so many fallen trees and damaged power lines, it was going to take time. And it did. Many people in the Northeast are still without power, I hope they soon feel the excitement of having the power switch on.
I know people deal with much greater problems and I tried to keep it in perspective. I'm accustomed to having electricity and the comforts it provides. (I know I'm spoiled, as many of us are.) I tried to tell myself it was like camping....at home. I have fond memories of going camping. I liked going camping, when I was younger, much younger.......Electricity is a wondrous invention and so quiet and efficient. It's an amazing convenience when you think about it.
Trees fell all over my neighborhood, on houses, cars, roads and lawns. But thank God the huge tree in front of my house stayed put. Naturally, before the storm hit I walked around my house praying for protection and a "God-shield", that was a given.
My sons called the morning after the storm from Manhattan to check in and tell me they were fine. Thank God! My son said he didn't know what to expect, because of all the warnings (even from the President), the evacuations of Battery Park City and other NY neighborhoods and then there were all my updates and concerns for their safety. (I'm a typical Italian mother.) But he said they slept through the storm. When one of my sons woke up, the morning after the storm, he didn't know what to expect, but when he looked out the window, he saw a young man walk by in a t-shirt and flip flops. He knew it wasn't too bad in Manhattan.
And so having to throw out food is not the worst of it. At least my basement didn't flood, where all my beloved religion books and newspapers are. So I have a lot to be grateful for.
I'm sorry for the farmers in Upstate NY and all the other people in Vermont, New Jersey and New York who have lost so much. It's a difficult time for many, especially those who've lost loved ones, from this natural disaster. That is the saddest part of this story and the most tragic. I'm so sorry for their loss.
It's been said over and over again but it's true. When faced with loss of any kind, prayer, meditation, and Bible reading are comforting and really help. My copy of Magnificat was so helpful to me during the days without electricity. Walking and praying and exercising kept me focused and calm. Prayer heals, there is no question about that.
NJA