Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bible Verses on Billboards

I'm back from sunny Florida. What a beautiful state! I love flowers, especially pink ones and there were so many beautiful pink flowers to gaze at and appreciate. (As far as I'm concerned (theologians agree), the beauty and uniqueness of flowers is proof of God's existence-all of nature to be more exact). I enjoyed Florida, but I still have a love for New York and all things New York. I'm a native New Yorker, through and through.
While in Florida, my husband and I happened to notice a billboard that I liked. It was simple. In large print which covered the entire billboard (with a colored background), it said, John 3:16. That was it-simple and to the point. My husband asked me what that Bible verse was. That was an easy question, which I was happy to answer.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life.
There is so much depth, hope, unconditional love and perfection in that one verse, which is why Christians hold up signs at sporting events printed with that verse. It says it all. It always comes back to Jesus and God's immense love for each of us.
One of the most popular blog entries that I've written is titled, "Hopeful Messages on Billboards." Scripture on billboards? I think that's a great idea too.
This is what I wrote in a previous blog, "I love the idea of posting optimistic, hopeful messages on billboards. I've wondered why the Church doesn't advertise more on billboards. I think it would be great to have optimistic, hopeful, religious messages on billboards to encourage faith, belief in God and state the benefits of a prayer life, especially during trials or hard times. Belief in God gives people hope......Optimism is good for the soul."
NJA