Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Bloodied Body of Christ

In light of the horrific media accounts of sexual abuse scandals in the Church and failures within the Church, at every level, as reported in the New York Times and elsewhere, I couldn't help but think of the bloodied body of Christ. I was thinking this past week of Christ, his rejection, humiliation, suffering, the pain of the crucifixion and death. For the Church and public relations this Lent has been the Lent "from Hell." The accusations I have read from victims of abuse have made me want to vomit. Literally. 
From a personal viewpoint, the only priests I have ever known were kind, intelligent, caring, human beings. They prayed for me when I needed prayers and help my through losses in my life. The horrific accounts I have read are beyond my comprehension. 
Where did I find peace today? What gives me comfort? Going to Mass today, worshipping and praising God with my family.  The Palm Sunday liturgy was beautiful and moving. I love to watch faith-filled people, even in the midst of this Church crisis,  most parishioners have their eyes "fixed" on Jesus, as they should. I had a busy day, a good day enjoying a large family gathering, delicious Italian food, laughter and family stories. We also celebrated my aunt's 90th birthday on Saturday evening. Today was more celebration. There is much to be grateful for. 
But I still think about the crisis in the Church. I'm troubled as most Catholics are about the complexities of this crisis and how the Church will handle it in the days and weeks ahead. 
Another thing I've been thinking about is how will reparation be made to God,  for the grave sins, that were commited.  In my mind, reparation needs to be made, not only to victims but to God as well. 
Who is praying to know God's will and how to proceed in all this? I hope and pray, religious and laypeople are praying for wisdom to know God's will and to bring about healing. 
These are some of my thoughts, I'm very tired and it's time to rest, but my concern for the Church is great.  There is much that has to be done, in my humble opinion. I'm not sure what but I know that it will take intense prayer and reparation, common sense, compassion, intelligence, pragmatism, deep reflective listening at every level to know God's will, to act with courage, to move on with hope. 
NJA

As Christ came into the world, he said: ' Behold I have come to do your will, O God.  (Heb. 10:5, 7)

O Cross...you have become the ladder for us to mount to heaven."
St. Paulinus of Nola