Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Supremacy of Love

I believe the entire New Testament can be summed up in the word "love." "God is love" according to Scripture and God is truth and wisdom and so much more.  Jesus commanded us, "Love one another as I have loved you," and yet so often we fall short of that commandment. So often Catholics as well as others fail to love and yet at other times I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and compassion I see in the world. I guess we are still in the process of growing towards God and God's will for humankind.  
I was fascinated by an AOL article I read titled, "Millionaire is Giving Away His Entire Fortune," by Terence Neilan. Austrian millionaire, Karl Rabeder has decided to give away all his money saying that "My idea is to have nothing left. Absolutely nothing...Money is counterproductive-it prevents happiness to come." He intends to move into a small hut or studio and sell off his homes. The article tells why he's taking such drastic action. He went on a three week vacation with his wife and he had feelings of guilt and a sense that "there was a connection between his wealth and the poverty he saw." He was quoted as saying, "It was the biggest shock of my life when I realized how horrible, soulless and without feeling the five-star lifestyle is." 
He is giving his money to a non-profit organization that offers small loans to needy people in Central and South America to encourage development. He is offering the poor a way out of poverty. Very noble idea and action!  
This is the kind of love that Jesus spoke about. I'm not sure if this man and his wife are religious or spiritual, but they are following one of Jesus' commands literally "to sell everything and give it to the poor, if you would be a disciple."
I'm curious as to his wife's reaction to all this is. I would imagine she is supportive. 
I would like to hear more about this story in the future to learn about the people Mr. and Mrs. Rabeder help, the good that comes from their life-changing decision. 
In the end, it's all about love. As St. John of the Cross said, "In the evening of life you will be judged on how well you have loved." Perhaps the greatest lessons we can learn in this life have to do with love, generosity and compassion.  Happy Valentine's Day! Many blessings to you and an appreciation for God's immense love for you!!
NJA

I am united forever to God whom I have loved with all the strength of my heart. 
St. Therese of Lisieux

Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.  Thomas Aquinas

They do not love, that do not show their love.  
Shakespeare- Two Gentlemen of Verona