Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards-A Woman of Faith & Courage

I admire men and women who battle setbacks, disappointments, loss and disease with courage and faith. One such woman, Elizabeth Edwards, recently said in an interview, "Cancer will probably win. Why would I give it any more days than it may already take? That's the choice I make." She chooses to focus on living. She believes that, "God will no longer cure her, but God will give her the strength to endure."  She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004. Sadly, the cancer has spread to her bones and is inoperable. She gets chemo treatments each month. 
As everyone knows, she is the wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards. She told WJLA-TV, ABC 7, that she is "busy speaking, writing and pushing for cancer research." She also spends time with her children. She has endured much suffering, disappointment and loss and yet she keeps going forward, trying to make a difference. I believe only people of faith can do that, can survive so many setbacks and still remain faithful to God and prayer. I give her a lot of credit, she is very inspirational. My little setbacks and disappointments in life seem small in comparison, though I have had to deal with the loss of loved ones, so I know first hand how devastating that can be.
There is probably no greater pain a woman can experience than the death of a child and she even endured that. Her eldest son was killed in a car crash in 1996. She said, "Nothing compares to Wade's death. No, not even cancer."
Amidst personal family problems and humiliations, which played out in the media spotlight, which is more difficult, she continues to fight on and display remarkable courage. Faith and belief in God gives people inner strength, courage and resilience. Her latest book is titled, "Resilience: Reflections on the Burdens and Gifts of Facing Life's Adversities." It's a book I've put on my reading list.
Her commitment to her marriage, even with all the problems and disappointments is amazing. 
People of faith, who display remarkable courage, deep faith and resilience in the midst of life's trials and challenges give hope to the rest of us. It also convinces me of the benefits of belief, hope, prayer and especially in the belief in the immortality of the soul and eternal life. As if I needed convincing. 
NJA

I can find nothing with which to compare the great beauty of a soul......we can hardly form any conception of the soul's great dignity and beauty. 
St. Teresa of Avila