Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ominous Clouds and Stormy NY Weather

The last "lite" blog entry was about laughter. Laughter is good for the mind, body and soul and it's highly recommended. But now back to serious stuff. I saw internet photos of ominous clouds over Louisville, Kentucky before the deluge on Tuesday. Heavy thunderstorms dumped 6"of rain in three hours. The weather left thousands without power and shut down the University of Louisville. Particularly upsetting to a book lover like me is that 3 1/2 feet of water inundated the main library's lower level in Louisville. Tens of thousands of books were lost. How unfortunate! 
In New York City and the entire tri-state area, we have been having a stormy summer as well. Also, this summer could go down as one of the coolest on record or the 2nd or 3rd coolest. The average temperature in July was 4 degrees below normal. It was the second wettest June and July on record, which was one reason for the low temperatures. One good thing is that reservoirs are at 97 percent capacity. I bring up the unusual weather because I found a Newsday article from 2007. (I'm always cutting out articles that interest me and saving them.)Anyhow, the article was titled, Harder Rains Will Fall Unless We Change written by Scott Carlin on July 20th, 2007. Highlighted in the article is the following, "Torrential downpours in one place, droughts in another-all signs of global warming that humans must reverse." 
I quote from the article, "Climate change is no longer a forecast. It is changing right before our eyes. It cannot be undone, but its intensity can be reduced if we, all 6 1/2 billion of us, put aside our differences and start seeing ourselves as one people, an Earth community. 
If you want to help, Busted Halo at www.bustedhalo.com has a series of articles titled, 50 Ways to Help Save the Earth-How You and Your Church Can Make a Difference. We can all do something, even using energy saving light bulbs or conserving water can make a difference. 
I believe that climate change and global warming are serious problems for our planet. We have not been good stewards of the Earth or cared properly for the beautiful creation given to us.  I hope that will change in the future and I hope the skeptics will begin to realize this is serious stuff, before it's too late and it can't be reversed. My hope is with young people, they understand that they have to do something and I'm confident they will. Brilliant minds, from all over the world,  are trying to find solutions to the problems we've created. I pray for their success.
NJA