Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blogging Burnout

According to a New York Times article, Blogs Falling In An Empty Forest by Douglas Quenqua, keeping a blog current, interesting and read by others is not that easy. No kidding. Setting up a blog is easy enough but maintaining it is another story. What happens when you get bloggers block? And you have to be creative, well-informed and keep up with current events. There are advantages to "self-publishing," and putting your ideas "out there, " but there are disadvantages too. It's no wonder that according to Technorati, in a 2008 study of blogs, it is estimated that since 2002, 133 million blogs were started. "Of those, only 7.4 million have been updated in the last 120 days. The rest are essentially abandoned. " 
Richard Jalichandra who is the chief executive of Technorati, said "that at any given time there are 7 million to 10 million active blogs on the Internet, but it's probably between 50,000 and 100,000 blogs that are generating most of the page views." That's still a lot of blogs being read. I like reading blogs and if I wasn't writing one and doing everything else I do, I would read more of them. But I do read some blogs everyday, it's become like reading the newspaper for me, I fit it in somewhere in my day. 
Some writers are trying to keep up blogs so that they can get a book deal someday. 
I wonder what motivates Catholic bloggers? Some Catholic bloggers are obviously evangelizing, keeping Catholics up-to-date and informed on Catholic news and opinions. It is helpful. 
Why do bloggers stop blogging? A variety of reasons.  Some just get tired of telling their stories and then they just write, "The End." Others find new platforms  such as Facebook. I would imagine others just get "Blogging Burnout." 
NJA

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing.   Abraham Lincoln

The world belongs to the energetic.  Ralph Waldo Emerson