Saturday, February 14, 2009

Love One Another

The greatest words ever spoken about love were spoken by Jesus.  Those words from Scripture are-  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another (John 13:34).  I often think about those words and the power they hold. I often wonder how different the world would be if only humankind had listened to those words and acted upon them. A world of peace, tolerance and compassion is what I imagine, if those words were truly lived out throughout salvation history. 
More words about love.....

At the evening of life, you will be examined in love.   (St. John of the Cross)

Love takes up where knowledge leaves off.     (St. Thomas Aquinas)

The greatest happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved-loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.                (Victor Hugo)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched-they must be felt with the heart.                                                   (Helen Keller)

Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love. Everything is united by it alone. Love is God and to die means that I, a particle of love, shall return to the general and eternal source.
                    (Leo Tolstoy)

I hope you have enjoyed reading these thoughts on love, because reading about love on St. Valentine's Day has made me feel gratitude for love. 
NJA